Elgin Theatre Company to hold auditions for I Hate Hamlet
The Elgin Theatre Company is pleased to announce auditions for its production of I Hate Hamlet. This production will be the first production of ETC’s 2022-2023 season.
Auditions for I Hate Hamlet will be held on:
Sunday July 31, 2022 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
Monday August 1, 2022 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Tuesday August 2, 2022 Callbacks if needed
No appointment is needed.
Auditions will be held at the First United Methodist Church, 216 E Highland Ave., Elgin, IL 60120.
This is an open call for auditions for I Hate Hamlet. Auditioning will take place for ALL ROLES. No prior experience necessary!
• Be prepared to do cold readings from the script.
• Monologues are not required.
• Be prepared for an impromptu activity.
• Bring all scheduling conflicts.
• Bring a copy of your resume and headshot if you have same.
Rehearsal, read thru and other dates and times are as follows:
• Read thru date: August 14, 2022
• Rehearsal dates: rehearsals start the week of August 15, 2022.
• Tech rehearsals: September 26, 2022, to September 29, 2022.
• Pick up rehearsals: TBD
Most rehearsals will be held at First United Methodist Church of Elgin, 216 Highland Ave., Elgin, IL. 60120. All Sunday rehearsals will be at: Right Center Left Production Company in Crystal Lake address and times to follow. Tech rehearsals will be held at the Elgin Art Showcase, 164 Division St., 8th floor, Elgin, Il. 60120.
Performances of I Hate Hamlet will be held on September 30, 2022, and October 1, 2, 7, 8, and 9, 2022. Friday and Saturday performances start at 8:00 p.m. and Sunday performances start at 2:00 p.m.
Performances will be held at the Elgin Art Showcase, 164 Division St., 8th floor, Elgin, Il. 60120.
Television soap opera star Andrew Rally (whose face appears in every supermarket checkout magazine) has been hired for the New York City Shakespeare in the Park’s production of Hamlet. But there’s a slight problem: Andrew doesn’t want to do it…but he will prevail to appease his Shakespeare loving girlfriend, Deirdre and his devoted agent Lillian. Unbeknownst to Andrew, he is the temporary tenant of the apartment of the late legendary John Barrymore, the definitive Hamlet. Which means nothing until Barrymore’s ghost is summoned by psychic medium and rental agent Felicia. Barrymore is there to hauntingly fulfill the pledge to coach his possible to be or not to be another great Hamlet. Playwright Paul Rudnick’s witty comedy promises coming to grips with life, love, sword fighting, and naturally….acting.
I Hate Hamlet has roles for: 3 men; 3 women; all ethnicities.
• ANDREW RALLY (30’s – 40’s): A popular TV star whose series has just been cancelled. He has reluctantly moved into John Barrymore’s previous New York apartment and agreed to take on the role of Hamlet for a Shakespeare in the Park production, even though he has no interest.
• JOHN BARRYMORE (50’s): The ghost of the famous larger-than-life actor whose mission is to convince Andrew to play Hamlet.
• DEIRDRE MCDAVEY (20’s – 30’s): Andrew’s naive girlfriend from a privileged background, a hopeless romantic, and the cause of Andrew’s sexual frustration. She is overjoyed that her boyfriend is going to play Hamlet, much more overjoyed than he is.
• FELICIA DANTINE (40’s): Andrew’s real estate broker, who is fascinated with the world of theatre and claims to have a sense of the supernatural. Ability to do a New York accent is a plus, but not required.
• GARY PETER LEFKOWITZ (40’s – 50’s): Hot-shot LA TV writer/producer/director with no true appreciation for theatre, especially Shakespeare. He tries to entice Andrew with the promise of a new starring role in a sitcom.
• LILLIAN TROY (60 – 70): Andrew’s agent, who has had a history with John Barrymore. She is frank with a dry sense of humor. Ability to do a German accent is a plus.
NOTE: Actors will be asked to help however they can with costumes, props, and set pieces.
ALL actors MUST be vaccinated and show proof of vaccination at the auditions.
For additional information, please contact Richard Grieger by E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: (847) 338-0506.
I Hate Hamlet is produced by special arrangement with Dramatist Play Service, Inc.
This production is funded in part by a grant from the Illinois Arts Council Agency.
For further information about auditions please visit our contact page to phone or e-mail ETC
Thank you for your interest. All auditions for Elgin Theatre Company productions are open auditions. Please fill out the following form.
An asterisk (*) following a field name identifies a required field.